When it comes to your health, your overall PH balance is extremely important. This determines whether your body is in a healthy state of alkalinity or overly acidic and possibly in danger.
Our bodies are amazing and fierce when it comes to protecting the PH levels. Since our body must maintain a slightly alkaline level to survive, the body will start pulling alkaline minerals out of the bones to buffer the acidity elsewhere. Amazing survival instinct but this can lead to osteoporosis and other health challenges like fatigue.
What is pH?
The letters pH stand for the potential of hydrogen, which is a measurement of the hydrogen ion concentration in the body. The pH scale is a scale ranging from 0-14 with 1 being the most acidic, 7 being neutral and 14 being the most alkaline. Our ideal pH reading is 7.3 – 7.45 which is slightly basic, or alkaline. Unfortunately, due to processed foods and chemical rich environments, many of us are too acidic these days.
It’s good to get a general idea of your pH reading because it is a great indicator of health status in the body. If overly acidic, you may have some underlying issues that need to be addressed. Some diseases and disorders that are associated with over-acidity are diabetes, obesity, migraines, cataracts, cancer, arthritis, stroke, gout, morning sickness, allergies and osteoporosis. Addressing over-acidity is vital to bringing the body back into balance, as every single system in the body is affected by too much acid.
1. Drink a fresh vegetable juice every single day.
2. Drink the juice of half a lemon squeezed in a glass of warm water first thing in the morning (citrus fruits seem acidic but are actually very alkaline!)
3. Eat a diet full of nutritious and alkaline vegetables and fruits.
4. Stay away from all processed foods and fried foods which are extremely acidic.
5. Avoid refined sugar like the plague, fresh fruits are okay.
6. Include more wheat grass, barley grass, kelp, cayenne, chlorella and spirulina in your diet.